October Monthly Lunch with Mitchell Roth
Friday October 4 11:30-13:00 at Tony Mandola’s Gulf Coast Kitchen. Join us for lunch with MITCHEL P. ROTH, the author of 16 books including Convict Cowboys: The Untold History of the Texas Prison Rodeo, Global Organized Crime: A 21st Century Approach, and An Eye for An Eye: A Global History of Crime and Punishment, translated into Turkish, Croatian, and forthcoming in Chinese. Roth recently completed Fire in the Big House: The Forgotten Story of the Ohio Penitentiary Fire, America’s Worst Prison Disaster, and its Aftermath. Now looking for publisher. He is professor of criminal justice and criminology at Sam Houston State University in Huntsville, Texas. He resides in The Woodlands, Texas.
Mitch will discuss his latest book, Convict Cowboys. Convict Cowboys is the first book on the nation’s first prison rodeo, which ran from 1931 to 1986. At its apogee the Texas Prison Rodeo drew 30,000 spectators on October Sundays. Mitchel P. Roth portrays the Texas Prison Rodeo against a backdrop of Texas history, covering the history of rodeo, the prison system, and convict leasing, as well as important figures in Texas penology including Marshall Lee Simmons, O.B. Ellis, and George J. Beto, and the changing prison demimonde.
TxGC MEMBERS ALWAYS GET $5 OFF!
- TxGC Members, use the discount code, provided via email, at check out
- $35 for non-members
- $30 for TxGC Members
- Ice tea, water, soda, cash bar
- Choice of Sicilian salad or Mama’s gumbo
- Choice of entree
- Chicken John Kim: grilled chicken topped in mushrooms, roasted peppers, white wine butter sauce
- Penne Pasta with Meat Sauce: traditional penne pasta with Mama’s slow cooked meat sauce
- Blacked Trout: filet topped with etoufee served with red-skinned mashed potatoes and vegetables
- Choice of chocolate cake or cheesecake